Solution for Error -6190, -816: QuickBooks was unable to open the company file when opening a file
QuickBooks is a useful accounting software, which has found its place in more than 85% of the small business houses. At times, the QuickBooks file gets corrupt and you may come across issues, while opening a .qbw file. After encountering such issues, all your important data in it becomes completely inaccessible. Though there are some generalized solutions available, they may not work in all conditions and for successful recovery of your valuable QuickBooks data, you need to go for an efficient .qbw file repair utility.
One of the prominent error messages that you may encounter, while accessing a corrupt or damaged QuickBooks file is as below:
'Error -6190, -816: QuickBooks was unable to open the company file when opening a file'
As written in the above error message, you were trying to open a .qbw file and the above message appeared on the screen. The reason behind the error is the mismatch between the Company file (.qbw) and the Transaction Log file (.tlg). This means, the error occurs, if the particular company file has been copied from a different computer and is updated without the associated transaction log file.
Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks is highly reliable .qbw repair software that can effectively repair the corrupt QBW file in the above mentioned case and restore your precious data by repairing the file.
The process described gives you an idea on the repairing process:
Steps to repair corrupt QuickBooks file and resolve Error-6190, -816:
There are several possible reasons behind the occurrence of the above error message. Below are some of the prominent ones:
Before running Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks, perform the below prerequisites:
- Create a blank .qbw file, in which the data from the repaired file will be stored.
- Close the QuickBooks application and the newly created .qbw file.
- Ensure that the versions of the installed QuickBooks application and the corrupt .qbw file are same.
- Run Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks. If you know the location of the corrupt .qbw file, click the 'Select File' button, else click 'Search files' button and select the corrupt file from the list. Click 'Scan File' button to scan the corrupt .qbw file.
- After completion of the scanning process, click the Company/Customers/Vendors/ Employees buttons on the left pane to preview the related data.
- Click the 'Repair' button and a 'Save As' dialog box gets displayed. From the drop down box, select QuickBooks version for the newly created .qbw file. Click 'Browse' and select the newly created blank .qbw file and then click 'Start' to begin the repairing process.
- A new window opens up, showing the progress of the 'qbw repair' process. Once the process gets completed, a process completion message is displayed. Click 'OK' to close.
Note that you can save a log file, with entire detail of the repairing process at a specified location for later reference.
Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks does not make any change to the original QuickBooks file and recovers the data only into the newly created blank .qbw file. The software is absolutely read-only and you can use it without any worries of data loss.
All trademarks acknowledged © Copyright 2012, Stellar Information Systems Ltd. Leaders in Hard Drive Data Recovery Software & Services