Solution for QuickBooks Error -6189, -816
Sometimes, when you are operating in multi-user mode and trying to access a QuickBooks file that is opened by another user in single-user mode, you face accessibility issues. In a similar situation, you would generally see the below error on your screen:
'An error occurs when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816)'
To work around this issue, you should try the following series of steps in order, as given below:
The below screenshots provide a quick walkthrough on the steps required to repair a QuickBooks company file using Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks:
- Irrespective of whether the Company File is in the Server/Network Drive or in your Local System:
- Restart the server or the system once. May be, the issue just gets resolved.
- Check, if you are using any third-party tool for file sharing (such as Dropbox ) or for encryption. Remove any such tools, if installed in your system or over the network, containing the company file
- In case the Company File is over the Network:
Verity if the QuickBooks database Manager is installed on the server. Install it, if not installed and restart the server again. This does not require any extra license.
Even after trying the aforementioned procedure, you fail to resolve QuickBooks error 6189, use Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks. The software incorporates an advanced, proprietary mechanism to scan your damaged QuickBooks file and extract every piece of recoverable company information. It restores your crucial business data to a new QuickBooks database and allows saving this file to a desired location in your system. Furthermore, the utility supports QuickBooks 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007.
Below mentioned is the procedure to repair a corrupt QuickBooks file using Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks:
Note: Initially, you should create a new company file in QuickBooks for storing all the recovered data.
- Launch Stellar Phoenix Recovery for QuickBooks. Click 'Select File' to select a QuickBooks file for repair or click 'Search Files' to search and locate '.QBW' files in a specific drive in your system.
- After selecting the desired QuickBooks file, click on 'Scan File' button at the bottom. The software starts scanning the corrupt file and displays a progress bar showing you the scan status. You can stop the process at any desired point in time by clicking the 'Stop' button.
- When the scan is completed, you can preview your company, customer, employee, and vendor information in the main interface.
- Click on 'Repair' button in the left pane. You will see a 'Save As' dialog box on your screen. In the dialog box, select the version of QuickBooks file you recently created, quit QuickBooks application, and provides the path of the newly created file. Click 'Start' to initiate the repair process.
- After completion of the process, all the recovered data is saved to the new QuickBooks file and you receive the message, 'Repair process completed successfully'.
The Free Demo of the QuickBooks Repair software is available for download. Download and check how easily you can repair corrupt QBW Company files.
Stellar Phoenix & Stellar Data Recovery are Registered Trademarks of Stellar Information Systems Limited.
© Copyright 2013 Stellar Information Systems Ltd. All Trademarks Acknowledged.